- About Us
- What they say about us
- See & Hear
- Resources & Links
- Contact Us
Welcome to EAJL
EAJL at Yom Masorti - Sunday 21st February 2016
Join hundreds of people from across the Masorti communities for a day of learning, culture and fun. This year’s Yom Masorti will include a full children’s programme, learning with the Masorti rabbis and chazanim, thought-provoking and entertaining sessions on Israel, social action and Jewish culture and, most importantly, good food and good company.
Chazan Jacky Chernett, Chazan Jason Green, Chazan Bex Blumenfeld and Nahum Gordon will be teaching in a dedicated Art of Shulmanship track with four sessions running throughout the day: -
- 10.00 – 11.00: The Megillot of Shir Hashirim, Ruth and Kohelet - Come and learn this exquisite trop with Chazan Jacky Chernett.
- 11.15 – 12.15: The Significance of THREE - Shalosh Regalim for lay leaders and lovers of nusach. Pesach, Shavuot, and Sukkot - three holidays bound by a common musical thread, but differentiated by three unmistakable motifs. Come (re)familiarise yourself with the nusach, and get a 'backstage pass' to this Cantor's siddur margin notes. With Chazan Jason Green.
- 14.00 – 15.00: The World of ShabbaTots - A chance to explore and learn about how to lead a high quality, well managed, developmentally appropriate and - most of all- joyous children's service on Shabbat. Please bring questions with you. I will be happy to answer them if I can. With Chazan Bex Blumenfeld.
- 15.15 – 16.15: The Gift of the Gabbai - A gabbai has a pivotal role in the life of a community – What is the position? Why is it so important? Can anybody do it? How can one learn? You will be taken through a typical Shabbat morning experience, with a particular focus on the Torah service. A handout on tips and preparation will be available at the end. With Nahum Gordon.
EAJL France Retreat - Monday 11th - Wednesday 13th April 2016
Join Chazan Jack Kessler and Rabbi Marcia Prager on a 3 day learning experience in Nice, France.
- When: Monday 11th - Wednesday 13th April 2016
- Where: Nice, France
- For more information download the PDF here.
EAJL UK Retreat - Thursday 7th to Sunday 10th July 2016
Please join us for our 4th UK Retreat for a very special learning experience for all prayer leaders. The T’filla Leaders European Retreat is for people who are hungry to learn, people who lead or who want to lead prayer, people who sing in tune & use their natural voice, people who have fluency in reading Siddur Hebrew and people who have a love of community.
For 2016 we are joined by four inspirational teachers from all over the world - Joey Weisenberg from the USA, Rabbi Dr. James Jacobson-Maisels from Israel, Chazan Jalda Rebling from Germany and Chazan Jaclyn Chernett from UK.
Download a Gift Aid declaration form here.
Click on the picture to hear Chazan Jaclyn Chernett explain.
Chazan, Hazzan, Cantor, Shliach Tsibbur (Messenger of the Congregation), Baal Tefillah (Master of Prayer), are all words that mean leader of Jewish prayer.
A Chazan / Hazzan / Cantor is the title of a person who is qualified to do so.